Whether or not a veteran of the icy water custom or a polar bear plunge virgin trying to punctuate New Yr’s Day with a brand new journey, yow will discover a spot to play that matches your type.
Driving the information: For the primary time for the reason that pandemic restrictions started in 2021, Seattle is internet hosting its official Polar Bear Plunge at Matthews Seaside Park, about two miles northeast of UW on Lake Washington, on Jan. 1 at midday.
- The occasion sometimes attracts virtually 2,000 individuals, in accordance with Seattle Parks and Recreation.
- Registration begins at 10am and folk who get moist to the neck will get a commemorative braveness badge.
Different New Yr’s Day plunges close by embrace:
- Des Moines Beach Park at 10am.
- Lake Sammamish State Park with registration at 10am and the plunge at midday. $10 donation required.
- Birch Bay, two hours north of Seattle in Whatcom County, will probably be internet hosting its fortieth annual plunge with registration beginning at 10am and the plunge at midday.
- Public entry seashores and boat launches may be entry factors for individuals who need a decrease key expertise.
Be sensible: Look however do not leap if in case you have coronary heart issues or different serious medical concerns that you have not cleared together with your healthcare skilled.
- Do not stay within the water greater than quarter-hour since you lose physique warmth 25 instances quicker in water than in air.
- Do preserve your outer clothes on till you are able to get within the water and take away moist clothes earlier than getting again into dry garments.
- Do put on water footwear or outdated sneakers to guard ft from barnacle-covered rocks.
Thought bubble: I took the plunge for the primary time in 2020 and it is now one of many highlights of my yr.
- I scoped out just a few public boat launches earlier than the massive day, selected one near my house and invited just a few pals.
- It sounds foolish, however generally after I’m confronted with one thing difficult, I believe again to New Yr’s Day and say to myself, “I did one thing I used to be scared to do then so I do know I can do that now.”
Extra Seattle tales
No tales could possibly be discovered